Monday 24 August 2020

Crete - Day 4 - Κακό αντηλιακό

I think that title sums up today...

But that's the spoiler! 

I woke up early today, 6.30 am and lay in bed waiting for my alarm to go off.. Holly had tried get me to commit to a 'get up time'; I swear that girl is a nazi she would certainly pass for Aryan... So I complied without really thinking and said 7 am.. I needn't have worried, both of them slept through their alarm...

Today literally was a carbon copy of yesterday, got up, showered, dressed, breakfast, got ready to go out and went to that amazing coffee shop across the road! (hint, we'll be going there tomorrow too!) 

This is where it changed! Instead of turning right out of the hotel, we turned left! We really know how to have fun! 

I had read that there was a beach this way so thought we'd take a slow walk to try and find it. 

On the way, we noticed a sign that was advertising a ride around the small villages that would give us a glance into Cretan life! At €80 it looks expensive but then it is 5 hours and does look quite long.

We persisted on and after about 1/4 of a mile came to a supermarket from which we bought some water. 31°C certainly makes you appreciate chilled water!

We eventually found a beach underneath a taverna, paid the €8 to hire a parasol and 2 sun loungers and hit the waves! The sea was lovely and warm and so clear! For the first time in many years, I actually enjoyed swimming in the sea. 

I swam for about an hour or so and got out, dried off in about 5 minutes and retired to my sun lounger to carry on with the PAT. I have to say the book is certainly picking up the pace and is really enjoyable. 

At about 5pm, we packed up and, after noticing than Anna looked a little sunburnt, stopped off at the supermarket for some nivea suncream. 

This choice was confirmed as good after Reuben had a shower and looked rather sunburnt too! Only I seemed to escape it (apart from the previous days roasting which is fading nicely after me wearing my baseball cap all day, the right way round this time! 

After dinner, lamb, turkey, fish, stuffed courgette, mussels, cheese and fruit, we set off on a jaunt over to the harbour. 

Before we went I loaded up Google translate and came up with this:

Écho idi fáei efcharistó which should mean I have already eaten thank you! Now either the Greeks are just incredibly polite and were just humouring me or my Greek was passable.. Or a bit of both!

We got to the harbour and the kids played cards 
And Anna and I enjoyed the view 

When we are done here, we are going to buy a bottle of local red, retire to the beach and drink! 

No comments:

Post a Comment