Sunday 28 August 2011

Northumberland Holiday Diary - Day 1

Saturday 20th August 2011

Rudely awakened by my mobile phone alarm - playing a ridiculously upbeat melody. Just what a person needs when they have a busy day ahead of them! Rolled out of bed and stumbled downstairs to get breakfast and get the boy ready for his swimming lesson. I haven't done that since taking the girl! I had forgotten how mind-numbingly boring it was..

When I got back home from this, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Anna had already packed a vast majority of the car and all I had to do was pack the roof-box oh and do my packing - 15 minutes later, I had packed my bag and got all of my electronics together and lobbed em' in the car.

We eventually got in the car at 1030 and hit the road. The journey was uneventful except for the couple of times that the A1 came to a stop for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I can only assume that people had slowed down to gorp at something; probably someone who had 'fallen off the road' - Grrrr!! I was very pleased that even with a fully-laden roof-box, I managed to get fuel economy of 68 mpg which is better than I get driving to work (like a granny - no offence meant to any of the boy-racer grannies who may or may not be reading this!)

We stopped for a drink at a service station on the A1 and despite the proliferation of 'Costa Coffee's' there really wasn't much else there. The prices there were ridiculous! Fuel, for example was £1.47 per litre... Talk about ripping people off. Saying that though; who sets off on a long journey without brimming the tank at home, just to avoid such a scenario!

We arrived at the cottage @ 1600 hrs (as predicted by me) and when we stepped inside - WOW! It was like a home from home. Brilliantly kitted out with everything thought of. There was even a 'welcome' bottle of wine on the work top with 2 glasses. It is these touches that make a holiday so good! The kitchen was kitted out almost better than mine, complete with dishwasher and dishwasher tablets! There was also a washing machine and tumble dryer and with all the fuel included in the price - well, what more can you say?

After unpacking we decided to head into Berwick-Upon-Tweed to 'get a lie of the land' and work out where to go shopping. We ended up having fish and chips (or haggis and chips in my case) by the town wall - was very nice.

We got back from Berwick and got the kids ready for bed and then relaxed with a glass of red and chilled out before going to bed ourselves!

And that was day 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment