We can convince ourselves so easily that we are in control, everything is great and that we are strong..
Then something totally innocuous happens and you cop a bit of 'gentle', deserved flak over it and the following happens:
- You start to analyse in an over critical way what happened
- You start to justify why it happened
- You distort what the person who took you to task actually said
- Your mental image of what their face looked like and their voice sounded like gets distorted and you feel hurt - like it was a personal attack rather than an admonishment
- Worst of all, you start comparing yourself to other people who do a similar job to you and find yourself feeling smug that "yeah - I got a rollocking for this but I didn't screw up as bad as Fredrick when he did [insert other innocuous incident here]
- You start to doubt the praise that the person who took you to task has given you in the past.
Here's what should happen:
- Admit you made a mistake
- Apologise to anyone concerned
- Man the heck up and get over it!
There - Whole again!