Saturday 22 August 2020

Crete Day 2 - Sun and SURRENDER

Why is it that the first night of a holiday, despite you being totally 'cream crackered'; you never sleep!? Well this holiday was definitely no different except maybe that a bit of stress was added in to the equation. I didn't think they would throw us out of the hotel but your mind can play tricks on you when you're tired. 

Remember how I said that it was dark when we arrived at the hotel well that photo I posted for day 1 was taken on day 2, today. After I'd picked my jaw up off the floor. 

Anyway, I "woke up" at 7 am and had a quick shower. I always end up being the sacrificial idiot with these things.. The shower head was massive and was one of those 'directly over your head' jobbies of which, when activated, there is no escape.. So you see my problem right (apart from the fact that I am wuss who's not mad keen on cold water)? Yup.. Which way do I turn the handle after pulling it out? I'll leave it in the middle, can't be too bad. It was cold... And stayed pretty cold. Now at this point you are stuck. How long do you give it to warm up or do you try and force the issue by turning it and possibly scalding yourself.. I waited, gasping a bit with cold, for about 20 seconds; surely enough time for it to have made up its mind. I eventually summoned the courage and turned the handle anticlockwise.. Nope, colder! OK (please let the shower be working) clockwise... A glimmer of hope.. A bit of heat.. Slowly does it Mat.. You wouldn't want to burn. Ahhhhh perfect.. 

So yeah, that was the shower! 

Get dressed and headed down for breakfast. The serving area was split into 2 sections, cooked and continental, both delicious. Because of all the COVID-19 nonsense it was a 'we serve you' affair which still worked out very well! I had scrambled eggs, sausage slices, mushrooms, peppers and onions followed by ham, cheese, tomatoes and cucumber followed by Greek yoghurt and apricot! Gotta say, Greek yoghurt in Greece is really something else! 

After breakfast we decided to wander up to the roof to see what the pool was like. It was small but perfectly formed! A lovely rectangle of blueness! We lounged about there for a while and I watched the clock.. 11am.. D-day as it were.. Had the hotel heard from the intermediary supplier? I walked down with trepidation, would this holiday turn bad.. Would my ugly mug end up in the Daily Heil, I should practice my 'Daily Mail Sad Face'™. No... Wait... Sensible people speak to their travel agents, not the press. Thank goodness for being normal! 

I got down to reception and they had still not heard either.. Oh well a stay of execution.. 

I celebrated this by going out to get some cold water from the supermarket. 

I took the water up to the pool where I had left Anna and the kids and saw a family that asked if we had a spare sun lounger. Their accent was so hard to place. I was thinking Eastern European, maybe Croatia or something.. That was until I heard their kids in the pool, speaking English. It was when the kids started saying "SURRENDER, SURRENDER, SURRENDER" than the penny dropped... They were clearly French! 

At about midday to 1pm, you know, the hottest part of the day, mad dogs and Englishman and all that.. We decided to go on a little explore. We walked out of the hotel and began to climb up towards Old Hersonissos, much quieter and up in the hills. 

We stopped off on the way for a cold drink at a lovely bar! The owner was really friendly and the waiter was just pure class very entertaining. 


After spending about 45 minutes there we hit the road again and finally made it to Old Hersonissos.

What a gorgeous old town! It had really managed to retain its character. 


(photo courtesy of Holly) 

After this we walked back down to the touristy part of Hersonissos and back to the hotel for dinner! Dinner was lovely, I had a lamb burger (no bun) and a load of pork with apple and celery and an excellent Greek salad. 

One of the upsides of today is that I did eventually get an email from Trailfinders saying that they were urgently pushing the supplier to sort out the small problem of the cancellation. I forwarded this to hotel management and pretty soon after, the hotel emailed me to say that all was well and that the booking was reactivated! This means that we won't be evicted (unless Anna gets drunk* and goes streaking. 

After dinner was done, we went and sat on the beach again and watched the sun set (kinda.. We're facing north) 

We're now planning what to do tomorrow! 

I got a bit sunburnt despite 'chasing the damn shade all day! It's not too bad though, nothing that a cool shower and a good night's sleep won't cure! 

*That will never happen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment