Wednesday 16 August 2017

Yorkshire Day 4

Relaxing day today!

Anna and I sat up until about 2300 hrs the night before debating what we were going to do today. Looking at the map, Nunnington Hall appeared to be a bit too far but a quick check on the Sat Nav proved otherwise.. Only 35 minutes away!
We set off at 1055 after Holly had sprung the 'I want a French plait' on Anna at about half 10..deep joy!

After a steep climb onto the moors the road levelled off and were soon driving through open moorland, the road cutting a path through the purple heather like a knife. 



Getting up to the moor, the car was averaging 20 mpg; on the gradual meander down to Ryedale and into Hutton-le-Hole saw the mpg climb to 56. This pleased me greatly

I had forgotten how picturesque Hutton-le-Hole was. Absolutely gorgeous, like a picture postcard.
We arrived at Nunnington Hall at about 1135 and Anna, once again, sniffed out the coffee shop. I had one of the nicest Americanos I have had for a while, the beans must have been pretty fresh!



After the coffee, we went into the house and looked around. I was particularly interested in the story of Col. Fife and the fact that he'd been a professional soldier during the late 1800s and retired just before the First World War broke out; at which he volunteerd for active service and saw action at Ypres and the Somme. Whilst serving he wrote to his wife Margaret very frequently and some of the letters were displayed. Some of the missions he led were amazing! Upstairs in the house, a recording of a National Trust volunteer reading his letters was playing. In 1917, Col. Fife was hit in the arm by shrapnel from an enemy shell and this effectively ended his war. He was left profoundly deaf and his arm took 2 years to fully heal.









After looking round the house we retired to the garden where we took advantage of the deckchairs and had lunch and then spent up until about 1700hrs just sitting in the sun relaxing! Oh.. There was a rather friendly peacock that got in on our picnic...

Holly and Reuben, in the absence of a ball (I'm not that cheap.. We just neglected to bring one), rolled up a pair of walking socks, used an elastic band to keep it ball-shaped and then lobbed it around for a good hour. I have to admit, they are both very good at catching. Reuben's cricket training is certainly coming in useful.

After this came the quote of the day...

"Mummy! I need help!" came the dulcet tones of Reuben. This had the effect of making me enquire exactly as to the nature of this emergency. "I'm so sweaty I can't get my jeans off!" this, of course, made me howl with laughter; mainly at Reuben's expense. Serves him right for wearing skinny slim fit jeans. 





After that it was back in the car and back to the cottage (via Kirkbymoorside to get some cheese, beer, and other vital provisions like brie)
When we got back to the cottage I cooked spaghetti bolognase which I'm pleased to say was rather good (especially compared to the first day's cooking fiasco..)

The kids have just gone to bed and Anna and I are watching Long Lost Family. Well Anna is, I'm reading Kindred, a genealogical thriller by Steve Robinson (I can heartily recommend Steve's Jefferson Tayte series beautifully written and very gripping!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment